The Hamptons Union, January 29, 1925

Hampton News

Betty Scott entertained two cousins Lucella and Howard Hobbs and two little friends, Dolly Toppan and Barbara Ward, on Monday afternoon, as it was her fifth birthday.

The Monday Club meets Monday afternoon, February 2nd, with Mrs. Harold Winchester.

The regular meeting of Ocean Side Grange will be held Friday evening, February 6.

A meeting of the P.N.G. club of Winnicummet Rebekah Lodge was held Monday evening, January 26, at the home of Mrs. Lucy Towle. Plans were made for serving a supper on February 24, for the members of the Lodge. The officers for the year are Mrs. Caroline Cole president; Mrs. Sarah B. Coffin, vice president; Miss Annie Akerman, secretary; Mrs. Ardinia Hobbs, treasurer.

Miss Marian D. Poole of Hampton Falls is having a slight school vacation because Saturday, last, she accidentally stepped on a plank with a nail in it which was driven quite deeply into her foot.

Saturday afternoon January 17th, Miss Ann Shelton was a charming little hostess to nine of her friends. The occasion was her third birthday. The afternoon was spent playing games, singing songs and reciting pieces. The little ones so enjoyed themselves they didn't want the party to be over.

Mrs. John Cummings has been quite ill with tonsillitis.

Miss Taylor is absent from school, being a victim of the grippe. Mrs. Arthur Sears is substituting for her.

Miss Ruth Fall has resigned her position in Peabody's Music store at Newburyport and is now working in Cole's Periodical store.

The Friendly Class of the Congregational church will serve a supper to the public in the church dining-room Thursday evening at 6 o'clock.

The Missionary Society of the Congregational church will meet Wednesday, February 4, at the home of Mrs. Emma Young. The first chapter of the study book "Ming Knong" will be taken up by the leader Miss Anna M. Cole.

William H. Palmer of New York City has been at the Union office this week installing a new linotype in place of the old one which is now insufficient for the growing business of the Rockingham Printing Co. The new machine is known as Model 8 with all the latest improvements and cost practically $5000. The machine has its own motor and the metal is melted in an electric pot. Some delay was caused in the setting up of the new machine by the non-arrival of one of the boxes containing parts, and but for the vigorous work of station agent Tufts, the delay would have been much worse. Mr. Tufts so impressed the B. & M. officials with the importance of finding that box that four special men were put on and as a result the box was located on Wednesday. Ross and Mitchell trucked the heavy parts from the railroad to the office without the slightest damage to any part. The electrical work was done by Roland C. Emery. The erection was done by Mr. Palmer, who left the machine in perfect order this afternoon. By cutting out news items we are enabled to issue the Union practically on time.