Built 1873; Moved 1921
Now Hampton District Court House - 2005
[Compiled by John M. Holman, Hampton History Volunteer]
This picture post card, taken around 1916 shows the Center Grammar School, built in 1873 at a cost of $4,485, comprised of 2 stories, each story had ceilings of 11 feet in height. The building, 47 feet by 32 feet, was originally on the site of the Hampton Centre School on Winnacunnet Road, but when the Centre School was built in 1921-22, it was moved to the corner of Winnacunnet Road and Academy Avenue, and served at one time or another as Hampton's first public Kindergarten, American Legion Post #35 hall, Fire Station #2 from 1932, until the new station was built, and more recently the Hampton District Court House until November 7, 2005.
[The Hampton District Court on Winnacunnet Road moved temporarily to Ledge Road in Seabrook, N.H., effective November 8, 2005, until a permanent building is built.] For more information on the courthouse building follow this link.