The Clark Tourist House
Courtesy of "Hampton and Hampton Beach"
By William H. Teschek
Copyright © 1997
First printing 1997; Reprinted 1999
The Toppan House, l920s. Mary C. (Toppan) Clark operated a boarding house on the corner of Lafayette and Winnacunnet Roads. After her marriage to Lewis P. Clark in 1928 it became known as Clark's Tourist House. Mary Clark died in 1956. Before 1960 the building was moved a short distance to front on Winnacunnet Road, and around 1978, it was moved again to 35 Drakeside Road.
The Savory Street Restaurant, July 1970, at the south corner of Lafayette and Winnacunnet Roads. Formerly the Mustard Pot Restaurant, it became Savory Street when purchased by Mike and Kay Tinios. At the time it was strictly a fast-food restaurant, but it has since expanded several times and is today a full-service restaurant called The Galley Hatch. One expansion displaced the Toppan House, which can be seen in the right rear.