The Lane Memorial Library Children's Room provides materials and programs for children and families from birth through sixth grade. We also provide assistance to teachers, caregivers, and others working with children.
Free Ebooks and Audiobooks
- Overdrive NH Kids ebooks and audiobooks are available free on through Overdrive NH/Libby (through our participation in the New Hampshire Downloadable Books Consortium) and through TumbleBooks. For Overdrive NH/Libby all you need is your library card number and a computer and/or portable device (phone, laptop or tablet). Check out the site here: http://nh.lib.overdrive.com . This service offers over 6,000 ebooks and 6,000 audiobooks, including popular kids' titles like Harry Potter and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Many of the Children's ebook titles now include narration.
- TumbleBooks TumbleBooks’ databases are easy to use, and feature unlimited access from home! Your kids can read as many books as they want, when they want, and on any device. There are no check-outs, holds, or bulky downloads. Books are available instantly. All you have to do is click on the TumbleBooks link and choose your book! Also check out TumbleMath, a collection of Math picture books.
The Children's Room offers a variety of ages/days of the week so that everyone can enjoy a Story Time. Pick the day that works best for you and your child and drop in online! All are welcome. Our Spring Storytime session began in-person on Tuesday, March 10th and continues to run online. During the period of time that the library is closed, we will provide online content on the library's Facebook page and Youtube channel. You and your family can watch the videos live, as they're performed, or the archived videos are available the same day. If you like and follow the library's Facebook page, you can choose to receive notifications when we go live. Facebook or Youtube.
- Wiggles and Giggles with Miss Wendy (Ages 15 months - 3 years) Includes stories, songs, activities, bubbles and dancing. Tuesdays @ 10 am
- Storytime Detectives with Miss Wendy (Ages 4-7) Includes non-fiction books and stories and some traditional storytime activities, like songs and sign language. Wednesdays @ 10 am
- Family Storytime with Miss Paulina (All ages) Includes stories, songs, activities, bubbles and dancing. Thursdays at 10 am (runs approximately 25 minutes) Thursdays at 10 am
- Bedtime Stories with Miss Wendy and Miss Paulina Mondays through Thursdays at 7:30 pm we will read one picture book and 2-3 chapters from our current chapter book.
Children's Room Newsletter
Check out our current newsletter for information on what is going on in our Children's Room.
Award-Winning Children's Books
- 2019 Nominees for the Ladybug Picture Book Award
- 2019-2020 Great Stone Face Chapter Book Award
- 2019 Caldecott Medal Winner and Nominees
- 2019 Newbury Medal
- 2019 (Theodore Seuss) Geisel Award Winner
- 2019 Coretta Scott King Book Award Winners
- Juvenile sequels and Series
Any child age 7 and older who is a Hampton resident may get a library card. A brief form must be filled out, including proof of address for the child's parent/guardian. Additionally, a parent/guardian signature is required for cardholders under the age of 18. (Parents should be aware that under NH law, we provide checkout information only to the cardholder.)
The library offers passes to the following museums: Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, Boston Children's Museum, and Children’s Museum of New Hampshire. One museum pass per family per day may be reserved up to 7 days in advance. You may reserve your pass by calling the library at (603) 926-3368. Please check our Museum Passes page for more information.
The Children's Room offers special programs and events throughout the year. These include sing–alongs, storytellers, a Valentine's Day Tea Party, animal programs, special arts and crafts projects and science programs. We also offer a fantastic Summer Reading program from late June to early August. Programs are sponsored by the town of Hampton and the Friends of the Lane Memorial Library . Please check the Library Event Calendar for a complete list of programs and to register online, or call the Children’s Room for more information at (603) 926-4729.
Safe Child Policy
Children up through the first grade must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times within the library. Second and third graders are welcome to explore the library with a parent or guardian in the building. Children in the fourth grade and above may responsibly visit the library without supervision
School Visits and Tours
We welcome classes to come and visit the library. Please call ahead to arrange a date and time so that the librarians can provide the best service and meet the needs of your class.
The Children's Room has a display case in which we showcase various collections. If you have a collection that you would like to show off, call or stop by to sign up. We maintain a list of children interested in providing a display and will call you when the next available month is free.
We can assist children with choosing materials for school assignments and choosing books for book reports. Call us directly at (603) 926-4729, or check our online resources . We also welcome the opportunity to work in cooperation with area schools and teachers to meet curriculum requirements. Teachers may fill out our Assignment Alert Form to notify the library of upcoming assignments that will require library or online research.